Matt Miller spent the first nine years of his career as an Air Force pilot, before entering the corporate world to work at both Abbott Laboratories and Valassis. While a top performer for both companies, his long-term desire was to start a business and be his own boss. A good friend one day mentioned the gumball machines he and his young daughters owned, and that conversation began a ten-year business quest that resulted in the creation and subsequent growth of School Spirit Vending. Over the years, Matt’s diligent effort and entrepreneurial expertise has brought School Spirit Vending to the cutting edge of both the vending and school fundraising industries by combining these two ventures into one. Today, School Spirit Vending’s Hassle-Free fundraising program is helping schools across the country raise money in its own unique way.
In addition to the basic in’s and out’s of running SSV, Matt is devoted to sharing his expertise with others. Through many different venues, including podcasts and public speaking, Matt seeks to enable other entrepreneurs to chase their dreams as well. He also serves as the editor for Marlin & Percy, which enables him to live his life-long dream of working in the world of comics.
Some Questions We Ask:
- When he hears the word successful, who’s the first person that comes to mind and why?
- What does success mean to him?
- If he could have dinner with one person he admires, past or present, who would it be and why?
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- Matt explains why Aaron Walker is such a big inspiration
- Matt discuses his childhood and the impact of having parents who were teachers, artists, and creative thinkers
- What attracted Matt to the military and the Air Force Academy?
“I was doing what the academy was looking for, not realizing that’s why I was doing it all.”
- Learning how to thrive in an environment that was very unfamiliar
“I literally became a pilot because I didn’t want face time with the General.”
- How did Matt go from being in such a bad financial place that he was turned down for a payday loan to starting School Spirit Vending?
“Why don’t you just go do it? You’re not that busy!”
- Matt goes into the history of School Spirit Vending
- What are the logistics of School Spirit Vending? How does it work? How can people get involved?
“We really fill a need that is lacking in most schools.”
“We provide a passive income stream on a very limited time commitment.”
- Matt explains how and why family is such a strong part of the business
“Family is our foundation and our first mantra.”
“Our goal is to develop multi-generational entrepreneurship.”
- School Spirit Vending doesn’t rely on quotas and typical boring business techniques
“If passive income was easy, everybody would be doing it. But once it’s in place, it’s worth it.”
“Get in the game, start failing, and learn as you go.”
Aaron Walker: http://www.viewfromthetop.com/
Aaron Walker on Sweet Adversity: http://www.nickdinardo.com/aaron-walker/
School Spirit Vending: https://ssvbusiness.com/
Live Your Dreams: Top 10 Reasons Why You Need To Start A Vending Business (free download for listeners:) https://ssvbusiness.com/sweetadversity/