Highlander Institute is a non-profit organization located in Providence, RI. Our vision is an equitable, just education system that meets the needs of all students as it prepares them for success in our complex, rapidly changing world. Highlander Institute supports classrooms, schools, district leaders, and state education agencies in reimagining how students learn, how learning is measured, and what skills and competencies are essential for success both in college and beyond.
Committed to equity and inclusiveness in education, Highlander Institute strives to support all schools in personalized learning programs that are student-centered and culturally responsive. As we continue to grow, we are committed to hiring a staff that reflects the diverse population we serve. We are looking for talented people to join us as we work to remodel our education system. If you are passionate about empowering students and leveling the playing field for all learners, we want you on our team!
The Executive Assistant is a quasi new role for the Institute. We have revised the job duties of this position to create a dynamic new role that will deeply support the work of the Highlander Institute and it’s executive staff. This position must have an understanding of the Highlander Institute’s current scope of work, a general understanding of the RI educational system structure, and project management. Being able to prioritize, be flexible and have strong communication skills is a must. This position reports directly to the Highlander Institute’s Chief of Staff.
Major components of the position include:
- Being the front line for the Institute, providing general office support and management that includes fielding phone calls and receiving and directing visitors
- Supporting the Executive Director and Chief Education Officer (including but not limited to: travel arrangements including booking of flights, hotels, car reservations, documents required for staff to travel, maintaining calendar and occasional email proxy)
- Providing excellent bookkeeping support to the Finance Director (including but not limited to: collection calls and notices, American Express reconciliation, receipts, accounts payable, expense reports, maintaining ADP timekeeping system) for 25% of the total role
- Plan, organize and execute the details for convening all Institute events, including coordinating all internal technology needs (Chromebooks, iPads, Zoom conference calls, etc), and coordinating all conference spaces for meetings
- Maintaining a clean and orderly office, including the relationships and communications with landlords and security
- Manage the purchasing of supplies, utilizing internal processing systems
- Maintain strong interpersonal relationships with employees at all levels of the organization
- Participate in the annual conference planning committee, managing all special events and catering coordination associated with the conference
Highly qualified candidates will demonstrate an understanding of:
- Office management and operations, including technical and nontechnical skills
- The RI educational system structure (including school and district relationships and contacts, funders, and community partners)
- Project management
- Highlander Institute priorities areas and how they relate to day to day workflow and operations
- Strong communication skills are required, as are software skills, internet research abilities and a willingness to support website maintenance and social media (Google Suite, Excel, Powerpoint, Gmail, Zoom, Quickbooks, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, and others)
Non-Technical Skills and Behavior:
- Detail-oriented- must be able to proofread, check, and and double-check the work of the Institute’s leadership
- Performs duties professionally, thoroughly, in a timely manner, and with a respectful, friendly demeanor in both external and internal relationships.
- Handles routine challenges with calm and good humor.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Bookkeeping experience a must
- Strong communication, documentation, and organizational skills.
- Strong writing skills
- Interest in learning and growing software skills, internet research abilities and a willingness to support website maintenance and social media.
- Ability to make decisions with minimal guidance as needed.
- Ability to determine and execute multiple problem-solving options that are responsive to a variety of stakeholders
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000 based on experience
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Erin Brouillette, Director of Finance at email@example.com.