We are currently accepting applications for this position until July 30th, 2019
Highlander Institute partners with students, communities, educators and administrators to redesign the school and classroom experience to meet the needs of all stakeholders. We believe that we can restore natural confidence and competence to students who have been marginalized by systemic inequity by delivering the most powerful teaching that builds students’ cognitive development. To this end, the Highlander Institute cultivates and disseminates innovative education solutions that improve educator and system capacity to provide personalized experiences for every learner. A nonprofit organization based in Providence RI, Highlander Institute identifies and implements best practices through collaborative partnership with schools and districts. A trusted translator and convener across stakeholder groups, Highlander Institute advocates for and activates educators as social change agents through personalized learning practices that are focused on creating equity through education.
The Highlander Institute theory of change is outlined in the book, Pathways to Personalization: A Framework for School Change (Harvard Education Press, 2018). We offer a bottom-up and top-down research and development approach, beginning with assisting school or district change agents as they convene a design team, craft a clear vision for the work, and launch implementations of personalized learning that support innovative classroom practices. Supports are customized for the local context, and enhance classroom culture, student agency and ownership, differentiation, and rigor and mastery. You can learn more about the high-leverage practices we emphasize in our Priority Practices Tool.
The Highlander Institute is seeking an Educational Strategies Specialist who truly believes that all children can learn, and that all children have the right to a high quality, culturally responsive, personalized learning environment. We are looking for educators with the skills necessary to support high school classrooms in Rhode Island and surrounding areas. Educational Strategies Specialists coach teachers to deliver student-centered instruction through successful integration of curriculum, assessment, student collaboration, authentic projects, and high quality small group instruction. The majority of our coaching is job-embedded, so we are looking for highly personable candidates who believe in the power of personalized professional learning.
REPRESENTATIVE JOB DUTIES (listed in order of importance, maximum of 10):
- Provide high quality professional development, design team facilitation, classroom modeling, and individual coaching sessions for teachers, school administrators, and district personnel based on the Pathway to Personalization framework.
- Develop relationships and act as a liaison between The Institute and assigned partners/ schools.
- Work with partners to develop implementation plans with clear, actionable, and attainable goals.
- Connect to data-driven decision-making through calibration to the Highlander Institute’s Priority Practices Tool, process data collection across a set amount of classrooms, and documentation
- Communicate effectively with district and school leaders, identify barriers to implementation, provide suggestions to resolve challenges, and respond promptly to all stakeholders’ needs.
- Collaborate and problem solve in a team environment with Highlander Institute staff.
- Document all aspects of assigned projects, including service records, TeamworkPM updates, and recording of relevant communications in the Implementation Plan.
- Participate in weekly team meetings to review assigned projects and implementation progress.
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment to instructional equity & asset-based thinking about all students and communities
- Strong communication, documentation, presentation, and organizational skills
- Project management experience
- Performs duties professionally, thoroughly, in a timely manner, and with a respectful, friendly demeanor in both external and internal relationships
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to a high-energy, fluid environment
- Team player! Ability to support others through thought-partnering, coverage, and critical engagement
- Growth mindset leads professional belief system
- Able to problem-solving options that are responsive to a variety of stakeholders.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field
- High school teaching experience
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work Environment and Culture:
- Works actively to promote the organization’s focus on social change and equity
- Demonstrates excitement, energy, and enthusiasm for all aspects of organizational growth
- Participates in regular ‘all hands on deck’ collaboration required by specific programs and events
Physical Space and Demands:
- Ability to travel between multiple school environments
- Frequent sitting, standing, stair climbing, bending over, squatting, and walking
- Frequent talking and listening.
- Frequent reading and writing
- Occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds (file boxes, materials, etc.) without assistance.
Salary Range: $50,000-$80,000 based on experience